Introduction to AYSO
The American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO) was established in the Los Angeles area in 1964 with nine teams. It was the dream of a group of devoted soccer enthusiasts who started the organization in a garage. Today, AYSO has more than 50,000 teams and more than 650,000 players.
AYSO is child-first and child focused. We are a soccer organization with happy, healthy kids as our passion.
Every decision, every rule and every program has “what’s good for kids” as its basis. Every girl and boy stepping on a soccer field for the first time can have fun. AYSO’s child-first approach also makes it one of the finest player development programs. Everybody likes to win, but developing successful players and people is what’s fundamental in AYSO.
You can set a soccer ball down on any corner in the world and have friends. It is a global sport that Americans have embraced in record numbers… because it’s fun even with a beginner’s skill. It’s also a game you can play and enjoy for the rest of your life (U-5 soccer is one of the fastest growing levels in the U.S.!)
With children’s natural joy in running and kicking, soccer builds on these two skills and adds in techniques to control the ball and work as a team. It also encourages creative decision making and strategic thinking. And it’s a fast game that keeps each player moving the entire time. In AYSO there’s no spending the game on the bench!
AYSO’s philosophies are living tenets that separate it from other sports organizations. Our mission is to provide quality youth soccer programs where everyone builds positive character through participation in a fun, family-oriented soccer environment. AYSO’s six philosophies separate us from the pack:
- Everyone Plays — At least half of every game. In Romeo, we try for 3/4 of EVERY game, your child will not sit out based on skill (unlike other programs). They can not become better players if they do not play.
- Open Registration — AYSO has sign-ups, not try-outs. As long as there is space on a team, every child who signs up will play.
- Balanced Teams — Skilled/talented players are evenly distributed among all teams in a league to promote balanced competition.
- Positive Coaching — AYSO believes in building soccer skills and self-worth through encouragement and teaching. Skilled players help new players improve.
- Good Sportsmanship — AYSO has active programs to promote positive behavior on the field and on the sidelines.
- Player Development — We believe that all players should be able to develop their soccer skills and knowledge to the best of their abilities, both individually and as members of a team, in order to maximize their enjoyment of the game.
Our region is run completely by volunteers, there is no paid staff involved. All volunteers are parent’s of kids in the league, like you. We all take turn doing our part, from the regional commissioner to the team parents. All AYSO staff pay the full registration fees, we are true volunteers. Please consider stepping up and helping out, you will not find a more rewarding job!